Karen Russell has won the 2012 Young Lions Fiction Award for her novel, Swamplandia!
, which is set in a gator-wrestling theme park in the Florida Everglades. The award is a $10,000 prize awarded each spring by the New York Public Library to a writer age 35 or younger for a novel or a collection of short stories.
Here is a list of the finalists for the 2012 Young Lions Fiction Award:
Photo: Random House
- Open City by Teju Cole (Random House)
- The Evolution of Bruno Littlemoreby Benjamin Hale (Twelve/Hachette Book Group)
- Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Lerner (Coffee House Press)
- Swamplandia! By Karen Russell (Alfred A. Knopf)
- Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (Bloomsbury)